Thursday, July 2, 2009

Due for an Upgrade?

June GPU Market Update: Price Compression Benefits

Today, I came across an article on the breakdown of today's graphic card offerings. It listed many powerful items at such phenomenal prices, mostly due to today's crappy economy. Going over the list, my nerdy-self raised it's head once again--I want to upgrade my computer now.

So, to assess my almost five-year-old PC's situation, here's a quick break down on what needs to be updated:

  • Graphics Card: GeForce 6600(this thing doesn't even exist in market now) -> ? (~$150)
  • CPU: AMD Athlon 64 -> Intel Core Duo? (~$150? $200?)
  • Motherboard: ASUS ....? -> Any good Mo-Bo for Intel (<$100)
  • Memory: anything that fits above (<$100?)

Add this with pre-order of Windows 7 Professional Upgrade, which runs for $99 at Amazon.com (the price will increase to $199 once pre-order is over), the total cost may be... ...

Let me forget about that for now, and just consider the bare-minimum, the graphics card. Then, all it will take to upgrade is anywere between $70~$170.

Not bad, I say. Not bad...

2 comments:

Doc said...

...where did the whole I-need-to-save-me-some-money thing go? I don't think you can afford any upgrades when you have a high-maintenance girl friend ;p

Peter Park said...

you just had to bring reality down on my dreamy mind now, didn't ya?! You little... !!!!