Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Microsoft Surface rocks?

Story Link

I'm not too sure on this, but I say Microsoft's new "innovative" product, Surface, may be their next big thing. (After, say, Zune. Or.. I don't know, what else did they make anyways?) It seems like they are showing it off as the new thing, and people are biting it; I see people talking about it as coolest thing in the world.

But the thing about it is, I don't see it being anything but a big failure, a big let down. Maybe it won't be a BIG failure, but definitely not a big success. Sure it is cool, to be able to have interactive, true desktop to play around with. Note that I said "play around with" because I precisely mean it. They claim it will have much more use; Sure, it can. But will people adopt to realize it's full capability? I doubt it. Here's why:

  1. It is BIG. It is pretty much fixed on one spot, if not completely fixed. So, it's a real hasstle to install it, or to move it around when reorganizing the place. So the whole room has to be designed around it, which won't be a real pleasure.
  2. What's the use? Whatever it can do, you can do it with a PC already. Why would anyone cash out a fortune to do something they can do with a lowly PC? Oh, it's not for consumers but for businesses? They got something too: Serveers. They can bring out dishes and such, too.

Unless they roll out a table top that's only few inches thick that can be installed easily--think IKEA--I don't see this going far.

I think Microsoft is struggling to find a new ground for it to roam about. Certainly, they seem to be doing better with entertainment area with Halo 3, their new OS is certainly not welcomed, and I don't want to even mention Zune. It feels like they're trying out new stuff just to keep up with companies like Google, when they should more focus on their own product, and perfect it. I say they should employ Surface's interface to Windows, renovate it in such way that people will actually use it. Not like Vista's deceptively sucking UI.

No comments: